Saturday 12 February 2011

Evaluation: What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

In order to decide which media institution I wanted to distribute my music magazine I first had to conduct some research into some institutions. The institutions I researched into are: Emap, IPC Media, Bauer and WWMD (World Wide Magazine Distribution).

Emap - http://www.emap.com/










After researching into Emap and finding out what types of magazines that it distributes, I came to the conclusion that Emap wouldn't be the best institution to distribute my magazine. This is because the magazines that they distribute and advertise tend to be quite academic such as the 'Health Service Journal (HSJ)' and 'Architects' Journal'. This is very different to the music magazine I have created and although it wouldn't have many rock magazine competitors I believe my target audience wouldn't visit this media institution's website because of what it represents.


Bauer - http://www.bauer.co.uk/











Another media institution that I deemed not suitable to distribute my rock music magazine was Bauer. This is because Bauer mainly distributes television magazines such as 'tv choice' and female magazines such as 'Take a break' and 'Bella', not music magazines and so my magazine wouldn't fit in with the other genres.

IPC Media - http://www.ipcmedia.com/








Out of these three well-known media institutions I realised that IPC Media would be the best institution to distribute my magazine. This is because it sells a wide range of magazine genres ranging from sports magazines such as 'Golf Monthly' to music magazines like 'NME'. Therefore IPC Media would be ideal in distributing my magazine as it would run alongside and rival popular rock music magazines like NME and 'Uncut'.










Even though I decided that IPC Media would be the best institution to distribute my magazine I realised that by distributing the vast range of genres that it does, it wouldn't make my magazine stand out to people. Therefore, I carried out further research into media institution and came across an independent one called WWMD (Worldwide Magazine Distribution). This institution distributes magazines worldwide not just within the UK which includes similar magazines to mine such as 'Q', 'NME' and 'ART ROCKER'. Although, this is the most suitable media institution, it is only an independent one and isn't that well-known within the magazine distribution industry and so I doubt it will help increase my readership even though it could offer me overseas sales.

No comments:

Post a Comment