Thursday 21 October 2010

Preliminary Task: School Magazine

Prior to starting the music magazine coursework I created a fictional school magazine to see where my strengths and weaknesses lie within magazine production. I created the front page and contents page of the magazine. The target audience for my school magazine was year 3 primary students. I chose this target audience as I could include content which would appeal to them about the transition from infant to junior school.

My school magazine proposal



Before I could create the magazine I had to contact a primary school and ask their permission to feature children in my school magazine. Below is a copy of the email I sent to the school.




Fortunately, the reply was yes although I still had to ask the parent's permission so I attached the following document to the email to be sent to year 3 parents.

I had 7 reply slips from parents allowing their children to participate and after asking them a brief questionnaire about what they enjoy about school and what they would like to appear in a potential school magazine, I selected 4 to be my potential models.

After choosing who would best suit the school magazine I then went about creating the product.
Shown below is the front page of my school magazine.




















Below is the contents page of my magazine.



















The production of this task allowed me to acknowledge what main features a magazine consists of such as a barcode, a mast head, lures etc. Also by completing this preliminary task I could see what improvements I would need to make for my music magazine coursework.

After its creation, I then deconstructed the fictional school magazine cover and contents page that I produced. I did this is order to acknowledge my current understanding of magazine features and my ability to include them within my later work. This task of deconstructing my own work was very beneficial as I was able to assess my own strengths and weaknesses within the production of the task and acknowledge what I could improve upon for my music magazine coursework.

Shown below is my school magazine deconstruction:









No comments:

Post a Comment